Monday, May 18, 2009

Food Play :: Lady Sovereign in my tummy and my heartbeat

You make my lips hard just like cherry pits
And you can make me hit em high notes
like mariah carey hits em'

We can share our pie and chips, check out my diet tips,

You don't need to eat that burger so lets just rub it round your lips

We can food fight cause i'm in the mood tonight.

-lyrics from Food Play, Jigsaw


Is this Goodie Mob talking about two of my favorite things: food and loving? Or is it Goodie's Cee-Lo Green (recently affiliated with Gnarls Barkley) or is it some other Dirty South Dungeon Family artist or even George Clinton. No it is the self-proclaimed "Biggest Midget" Lady Sovereign. Like so many good things, I came across Lady Sovereign late and but by way of NPR. And I've added her to my playlist indefinitely.

In finding out more about her, I was a bit confused to hear Lady compared to "Eminem." Why? Because she is white and has talent and can freestyle? Naw. Hell naw. This Lady reminds me of all types of good music. "Lets Be Mates" reminds of Basement Jaxx's Rudy and don't get me on her "Pennies" track. Fire! Spitting hot fire! The track is so accomplished. The beats, the pace, the lyrics has the attitude, the swagger and the artform that makes me want to move! And that is what I need on a playlist that includes 10 minutes on a Versaclimber and 45 minutes on a Stairmill.

No comments: