Thursday, May 7, 2009

I Heart Avocado :: NYT Ode to my favorite calorie splurge

I love fat. I do. That's right I said it. I love fat and I'm trying to lose weight. A contradiction right? Not for me. I do know you can eat fat and lose weight. And Infact good fat can help you lose weight. In my search and discovery of good fats, I've become a carnivore for avocados. No not guacamole (which I will eat to no end if you put a bag of chips anywhere near my mouth). But pure naked, green-in-green avocado. I wish society could love women like I love avocados. With it's cellulite dimply skin, plump pear shaped body with a big red heart, I do adore this fruit. Avocados are hefty in calories. Around 350 for a medium size avocado. So I limit my gluttony to the weekends. I take brown rice, sliced almonds, a small bit of toasted sesame oil, spinach and green peas and toss it into a hot wok. I slice open an avocado. Pluck out the seed. Sprinkle bits of shaved, chunky sea salt on top of the open avocado slices. Put it on the side of my brown rice stir fry. My toes curl and I am so happy to be a child of Eve.

I am a creature of routine, but am always eyeballing new ideas. I was happy to see the New York Times ode to the Avocado in it's Health and Fitness section. And there is an elegant
Tuna Ceviche or Tartare With Avocado recipe by Martha Rose Schulman. Since I do not exercise on the weekends, I have been debating deleting heavy carbs like rice and breads out of my weekend diet. Schulman's recipe has made up my mind. It's full of protein, fat-bottom avocados and summer greens. Reminiscent of summer and perfect for a lower-calorie meal.

No comments: